- Adagio for Strings, Op. 11 — 10 min.
Available recordings | via SoundCloud
- Description |
Often described as America’s pyramids, the former Anasazi-Puebloan communities such as Mesa Verde National Park, Canyon de Chelly and the remarkable Chaco Canyon are testaments to a people living in harmony with nature. Set against the rich palette of the desert southwest, the ancient cliffside cities are hauntingly beautiful reminders of life in the pre-Columbian Americas. When paired with Barber’s deeply moving score, Reflections of the Spirit is a meditation on the enduring human spirit and our unending connection with the environment.
- Format |
- Live music + multiple digital projectors + 440-square-foot screen + 100s of images choreographed by our artist
- Premiere |
- Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra
- Pairs well with |
- Canyonlands, Grand Canyon Country, National Park Suite, Pacifica, Vanishing Forest
- Features photography from a variety of Anasazi/Puebloan sites, many of which are national parks or monuments, including: Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon, Betatakin and Wupatki
- Production travel included extensive photographic trips to Arizona, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico
- Photography and choreography by James Westwater
- Performed by Nicholas Bardonnay
- Reflections of the Spirit |
- Click to view sample images from 100s in the concert piece